Friday 19 January 2007

Shrink Wrap (Record Stores I Loved #1)

I'm not having a pop at Serato (I love that shit), downloading or the digitisation of music in any way, well actually I am because I'd literally be a millionaire if illegal downloading didn't happen, I'll get over it though. What is sad is that when you download a single these days, you don't get the excitement of cracking the shrink wrap and then carefully removing the plastic and keeping cool little stickers like this. The Nice & Smooth one speaks for itself. The Music Factory was a ridiculous record store just off Times Square on Broadway. I went there a couple of times and picked up some of my most treasured records. It closed down in 1991 and I heard they sold all their wax to Rock N Soul, a record store that lasted a little while longer on Fashion Avenue, just opposite Macy's. Psycho Les from the Beatnuts told me he used to work at the Music Factory, that was his first job. I wonder if he was behind the counter when I went in there. My memory's not bad, but......

No comments: