Friday 19 January 2007

Funkin' Donuts (very rare audio)

In 2003 I got a call asking if I'd like Jaylib on the show to promote their album Champion Sound. Obviously I wasn't going to turn that down so along they came en masse. Jay Dee, Mad Lib, Peanut Butter Wolf and J Rocc. The importance of what went down seems to have that much more relevance today. The audio speaks for itself, it's a real treat for any Hip-Hop fan. When they came over I remember cats were excited but not exactly the fever pitch we've seen since he unfortunately passed. I'm not going to be cynical though, just support real Hip-Hop, not just when it's trendy to do so.
There's a post below about Large Professor, support that cat as much as you support Dilla now. Dig deep, keep buying the wax, just support real shit. Don't be a sheep.
So after they came on the show, they did a show at The Jazz Cafe and their appearance on my show actually crept into Stones Throw DVD they released, so if you see them on the mic in a radio studio, that was with me.
In hindsight I should have spent more time talking to Jay Dee but how the hell was I to know that would be the last time we'd ever meet. I have to say, he looked very healthy and was one of the nicest people I've ever met. Look out for the re-release of The Ruff Draft out now on Stone Throw.
I've attached a couple of scans, one of Jay Dee's early releases by 1st Down on Payday records. I got this on a trip to New York. I used to do the rounds to all the record labels on the hunt for promo vinyl. DJ Premier was there that same day. Shout out to Patrick Moxey who owned Payday and is still a good friend of mine. The other scan is a Jaylib 12" which Madlib and "Jay Deezy" signed for me.
The full audio from the interview includes J Dilla freestyling, talking about A Tribe Called Quest and some of his earliest releases. Madlib and PBW talking about Bob James and much more.

Click here for the full interview: RIP Jay Dee (if you like the audio, please say 'what's up' and leave a comment)



No comments: