Thursday 18 January 2007

Extra P on the SP










The Large Professor, Extra P himself came on the All City Show in 2002 to promote his album. It was a good feeling, not only because of his stature in the game, but I heard tapes of Stretch and Bob when Large Pro was a regular on their show. It felt nice that we could also make something like that happen in the UK some years later and it still be exciting.
As we were playing Keep It Moving by A Tribe Called Quest, like you do, he dropped some impromptu adlibs over the top. It was pretty cool at the time. In fact it's still pretty cool thinking back. We also had Edan on live. He did this live track featuring Insight which included a dedication to Extra P at the beginning. It was meant to be flattering but Edan made some comment that Large Pro totally misunderstood and there was a bit static in the studio for a minute. It was pretty funny, Edan was mortified that P was mad at him. I like Edan. To be honest, it was Extra P's manager that stirred up the situation. So that was in 2002 and we put him on a show at 93 Feet East where we had All City Live regularly each month. I remember every nerd from London's Hip-Hop fraternity came out to see him. It was still criminally under represented though. Anyway, here's the audio, a flyer and photo of me (wearing a 1st Class promo shirt of course) and Extra Paul backstage in East London.
Oh snap. I totally forgot. So me and Yoda were recording our Unthugged album and we got him in to drop a couple of verses on a track we produced. Thinking back, the track was wack but to be in a studio with Large Pro one rainy afternoon was trippy. There was me on MPC2000, not really having a clue what to do with it and Large Pro writing rhymes to my beat. It was so wrong, but so memorable. I'm so fucking stupid sometimes, we didn't even take photo's of the session, I guess me and Yoda aren't the types who like to document everything we do on a handy cam. Humble Magnificent.
A couple of years after I was at a club in New York where Mark Ronson and Q Tip had a night. I bumped into Extra P, he thanked me for bringing him over to the UK then continued to stare at some girls ass. It was a nice moment but I knew my place.

So here's some audio, one day I'll post the whole interview which makes for great listening.

Click here for Extra P On The All City Show (if you like the audio, please say 'what's up' and leave a comment)

No comments: