Saturday 20 January 2007

No Vaseline










I'm reading this book at the moment. It's a pretty good insight and a frank recollection of the events leading up to the inception of Ruthless Records through to it's ultimate demise when Eazy died of AIDS. Jerry Heller formed Ruthless with Eazy and introduced the world to groups like N.W.A. as well as artists such as Michel'le and the D.O.C. It seems he didn't have the greatest relationship with Ice Cube who left N.W.A. shortly after their debut album was released. Cube called Heller out on one of his later recordings 'No Vaseline' which you should dig out.
I'd never met any of the original members of N.W.A. until recently when Ice Cube released his album 'Laugh Now, Cry Later' and came on my show for an interview (I'll archive that at a later date). Before this book came out, I knew he was never the best of friends with Heller but I didn't know the severity of his beef with Ruthless. When Cube came in for the interview I thought I'd wear my Ruthless Records T Shirt for the purposes of nostalgia. It was only when I read the book soon after that I realised I must have been rubbing his nose right in it.
As ever, I got him to sign a few records, although his hand writing is obviously not the best. He seemed impressed that I had 12" copies of all his early singles when he was a member of the group C.I.A..

Click Here for The C.I.A. "My Posse" (if you like the audio, please say 'what's up' and leave a comment)










2 comments:

gragy said...

CIA rip? Nice one!

Unknown said...

Damn you have to love those innocent fanboy errors, who would have thunk it? Definitely want to read this book, want to get a handle on the people who had the forsite to recognize raps potential