Saturday 20 January 2007

Classic Magazine Covers #2









This magazine is probably the most classic out there. Maybe I'm bias. Down the line I'll talk a whole lot more about Fat Lace but let me break down the story behind this particular cover first. So Eminem was blowing up around '99/'00. Me and the crew were totally aware of Em before most people caught on after we discovered his early 12" releases. Paul Rosenberg, Em's manager used to manage a group called The High & Mighty. A friend of mine Jon Shecter also knew Paul, so between the two connections we did a phone interview with Em for Fat Lace. This was the first magazine cover Em ever got, before Stress had him dressed as Malcolm McDowell in A Clockwork Orange, later copied by Spin Magazine. I used the same interview for a feature in HHC down the line but this was the first. At the time, he had beef with Cage, so he talked about that a lot.
The next year I got invited to interview Em before his show at the Manchester Nynex Arena. I was the only radio DJ to be invited. Zane Lowe was the only TV presenter allowed. That interview was a little more interesting as his fame levels had risen by then. He'd become a world-wide phenomenon by 2001. The interview I did with him in Manchester was used on his European Tour DVD, there I was, clearly speaking to Em about Mark The 45 King producing 'Stan'. He seemed pretty impressed by that. I'll archive that footage later.
Before I started on XFM, and a few months before the Manchester interview, Westwood had heard one of my mixtapes called 'Jiggy Free'. It was actually Jon Shecter that told him about it. I used to visit Jon at the office for Game Records / Game Girls in New York and always took him copies of my tapes and the latest Fat Lace issue. Westwood called me up. I thought it was a hoax. He asked me to come on the show and do a guest mix. Me and Andrew Emery aka Drew Huge went to the Radio 1 studio. I did a 20 minute mix of the latest Independent classics which went down well. So who walks in the studio for his first appearance on Westwood? You guessed it, Marshall Mathers III, Paul Rosenberg and the whole entourage. That was a really classic show which I'll archive at some point. That's when I got Em to sign Fat Lace Issue 3 and his 2nd 12" release which also includes my press pass from the Nynex show.

No comments: